Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 115 g/4 oz dried vermicelli noodles
- 1.2 liters/2 pints chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 lemon grass stalk, crushed
- 1-cm/ 1/2 inch piece ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chilli, or to taste,deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 skinless,boneless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 200 ml/7 fl oz coconut cream
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2-3 tbsp of thai fish sauce
- 55 g/2 oz bean sprouts
- 4 spring onions,green part only, finely sliced
- fresh coriander leaves , to garnish.
- Soak the dried noodles in a large bowl with enough lukewarm water to cover for 20 minutes until soft. Or, cook according to the packet instructions. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring the stock to boil in a large saucepan over high flame. Lower the heat, and add the lemon grass, ginger, lime leaves and chilli and simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken and continue simmering for further 3 minutes or until cooked.
- Stir in the coconut cream, Thai fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of lime juice and continue simmering for 3 minutes. Add the bean sprouts and spring onions and simmer for further 1 minute.
- Taste and gradually add the extra fish sauce or lime juice, if needed. Remove and discard the lemon grass stalk.
- Divide the vermicelli noodles between 4 bowls. Bring the soup back to boil, then add to each bowl. The heat of the soup will warm the noodles. To garnish sprinkle with coriander leaves.